Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Banana no pudding

Thursday night was the long-awaited return of the farmers market to Springfield (the Illinois Products Farmers Market, that is -- the Old Capitol Farmers Market, which runs on Wednesdays and Saturdays, starts this week). It was also the long-awaited return of Heavenly Delight cupcakes. Anyone who's read my blog consistently knows that I spent last spring-fall sampling HD cupcakes on a weekly basis. The bakery, based in Windsor, has a pretty good lineup, and they usually bring about 10 flavors to the market each week.



The 2012 premiere brought one HD cupcake I hadn't tried -- Banana Pudding. My first thought upon seeing this one and reading the name: creamy filling!

Wrong.

Not only was there no creamy filling, there was no filling at all. I can't lie: I was a little disappointed, although the cupcake was quite tasty anyway. The cake was moist (though hard to tell if it was made with real banana or artificially flavored), and the frosting was thick, creamy and banana-y. The mini-vanilla wafer on top was a nice touch, although it was soft by the time I ate it. I don't know that I would get this one again if I had choices such as the Snickerdoodle (cinnamon divinity -- my second-favorite HD cupcake after the Peanut Butter Cookie).

Welcome back, farmers market!

No comments:

Post a Comment