Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Farmers market finale

It was a rainy, gloomy end to the Old Capitol Farmers Market today, and the end of my access to Heavenly Delight cupcakes for the season. Time to move on to Cafe Moxo for the winter.

I made the most of my last Heavenly Delight Wednesday, springing for a half-dozen cupcakes, half new and half repeats of some favorites. The new: Chocolate Carmel, Banana Flip and Lemon Drop. The repeats: White, Reese's and Pumpkin.

Lemon Drop is in the freezer with the repeats, but I splurged on my other two newbies. First up: Chocolate Carmel. This one is the sibling to one I really want to try, Chocolate Carmel Surprise.


Chocolate Carmel

The difference between the two is that "Surprise" has a caramel filling. That filling, I believe, would have helped to set Chocolate Carmel apart from HD's yellow cake with chocolate frosting, which I love and would choose over Chocolate Carmel. CC was good, don't get me wrong -- the cake was caramel-flavored and the frosting was HD's luscious moussy chocolate -- but the cake flavor didn't knock me off my feet, and I could have lived without the little caramel balls that HD typically uses to garnish its caramel-flavored cupcakes. I wouldn't buy it again unless I could try the "Surprise."


Banana Flip

Next up: Banana Flip. I fell in love with the name and was excited to finally try a banana cupcake from HD. I had a scrumptious banana cupcake with a stellar butter frosting at Sugar Bliss Cake Boutique on the Chicago cupcake crawl, and I was eager to see how HD would measure up. Along with its banana cake, the Flip sported vanilla frosting with marshmallows as a garnish. Whether or not the frosting had marshmallow flavoring added, I was never able to pinpoint. It did seem a bit sweeter than HD's regular vanilla frosting, but that could have been due to the marshmallows. I liked it, but not as much as the Sugar Bliss cake. I remember that cupcake being moister, and the butter frosting was definitely better suited to the banana cake. All in all, it was a good cupcake, but not one that I'll probably repeat in the near future. Maybe midway through next summer, after I've had a second chance at getting some of the selections I missed this year.

Next week: Moxo!

No comments:

Post a Comment