Wednesday, December 7, 2011

From a sandwich to a cupcake: The PB&J



I never ate peanut butter and jelly sandwiches when I was a kid -- I just never liked the combination of flavors. I love peanut butter and jelly separately, but in this case, opposites don't attract for me.

Thus, I felt some trepidation about trying Cafe Moxo's PB&J cupcake. I knew I'd love the peanut butter frosting because I tried it several years ago on Moxo's peanut butter cupcake with chocolate cake. I just wasn't sure how I'd feel about the raspberry jelly filling in the white cake or the jelly garnish on the frosting.

Well, let's just say I lived through the tasting experience. I tried the cake by itself first to get a sense of texture -- dry or moist? -- since Moxo has a tendency toward dry cake. The white cake was pretty dry -- no suprise there. It wasn't terrible, but the entire cupcake would have been so much better with a moister cake.

Next, I boldly took a bite of all three elements together -- cake, filling and frosting. My first taste of jelly and peanut butter together wasn't as traumatic as I expected. It actually wasn't so bad. Even so, I don't think I would seek out this cupcake again. Moxo's peanut butter frosting is so good that I'd rather enjoy it uncomplicated by another type of bold flavor. (Although I have to give credit where it's due -- the jelly was quite tasty on its own and did its part to boost the dry cake.) Once I'd taken the plunge and tried the peanut butter and jelly together, I toppled the cupcake and finished it from the bottom, cake and filling together, then frosting. (There wasn't a significant portion of jelly garnishing the frosting, so I was, for the most part, able to enjoy the frosting on its own merits.)

I think I've grown from this experience trying a flavor combination I've always avoided. Well, I've grown as a cupcake reviewer, anyway. I won't be eating any peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

No comments:

Post a Comment