Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Do-overs


With the extravagance of Thanksgiving week behind me, I felt my old, familiar craving for cupcakes return on this cold but sunny late-November Wednesday. It was the right time to head back to Cafe Moxo and give a second chance to one of the several cupcakes I tried freezing a few weeks ago with subpar results. I was in the mood for Moxo's vanilla frosting, so I chose the Black and White, with chocolate cake and chocolate sprinkles atop the mound of light, fluffy icing.

I was eager to dig in after lunch and find out if this particular cupcake was better fresh. I was pleasantly surprised to find the cake suitably light and moist and the frosting the same texture I remembered from previous vanilla-topped cupcakes I'd tried at Moxo. Freezing the two Moxo cupcakes I'd stocked up on at the beginning of November -- Black and White and Bistro (yellow cake with chocolate frosting) -- I had discovered, upon thawing them, that the cake had lost its moisture and the frosting had thickened somehow. They just weren't as light as previous Moxo cupcakes I'd tried fresh. Despite some misgivings about the overall quality of Moxo cupcakes, I knew I had to give those varieties a "fresh" chance, and I decided not to let the bad experience color my overall opinion of Moxo's offerings.

So the Black and White notches a rebound win today, and I look forward to a renewed vigor in my exploration of Moxo's menu. Bring on next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment