Saturday, March 24, 2012

Cupcakes falling from the sky!

I can't think of a much sweeter surprise than an unexpected cupcake. Well, except maybe TWO unexpected cupcakes. It turned out to be that kind of Friday after I received a surprise text from Tracy of TL Cuppycakes, offering to bring Jayette and I a pair of selections from her menu -- Yes, I Like Pina Coladas and Cupcake in Paradise. Yep, pina colada and margarita. 

I recently mentioned to Tracy that I wanted to try more of the flavors off of her menu, as well as the new flavors she often creates. She must have been recalling that when she set aside these two while making up an order for someone down the street at the Capitol, and I'm so glad she did. These were both outstanding!

Cupcake in Paradise and Yes, I Like Pina Coladas; 
photo courtesy of Jayette Bolinski

We tried Cupcake in Paradise, the margarita cupcake, first. We were dazzled by the moist, lime-infused white cake, which we felt had just the right amount of lime so as to be flavorful but not overwhelming. (Tracy said she used a lime-flavored drink mixer in the batter.) The vanilla fluff filling was light and cool, and the lime buttercream frosting was outstanding. The lime wedge was the perfect topper. One standout quality to the cupcake was the fact that it truly tasted like the drink -- all the way down to the hint of saltiness, like you'd find around the rim of a traditional margarita. So cool!

Yes, I Like Pina Coladas was superb as well. Tracy mixed bits of pineapple and coconut into the yellow cake batter, which made it extra-moist. She also filled it with a light coconut cream and topped it with vanilla buttercream and toasted coconut shavings. Her garnish was a drink umbrella, which definitely added to the charm factor. This cupcake also tasted like the drink after which it was modeled. All we needed was our towels, bathing suits and a nice, sandy beach!

We agreed that we would love to repeat these sometime. I wouldn't mind trying them along with their namesake drinks. Hmm, I think I need to work on that!


No comments:

Post a Comment