Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Spring fever (and frosting)

When I stepped out my front door this morning and realized it was so warm at 8 a.m. that I didn't need a coat, I knew it was going to be the perfect day to sample a set of spring-themed cupcakes from TLCuppycakes. I had made arrangements for owner Tracy Cowee to drop them off, and she arrived mid-morning with the five springy cupcakes, including two brand-new creations for the Easter season.

Tracy's presentation never disappoints. This quintet was such a treat for the eyes that I hated to destroy them by eating them. 

Since I had ordered a quintet, I recruited my coworkers and fellow tasters Kathy Rem, Jayette Bolinski and Robin Desai to help me sample them. 



First up was the What's Up Doc. (You might be able to guess that it was carrot cake.) This one wasn't our favorite of the bunch. We thought the cake was on the dry side, although the spicy flavoring was just right. We loved the delicate cream cheese filling and the cream cheese buttercream frosting crowned with a cheery swirl of orange. Had the cake been moister, this one would have been a hit. 



The Sunshine Superman, a sweet-and-sour concoction topped by a fresh lemon slice, perked us up. The light lemon filling perfectly complemented the tangy lemon cake, and we loved that the flavor was obviously natural -- no artificial lemon in this cupcake. The subtle vanilla-lemon buttercream frosting was, literally, the icing on the cake.


My favorite of the day was also the simplest -- White Wedding Day, a white cake with vanilla buttercream frosting and little white candy "pearls" as a garnish. The cake was incredibly moist, and the addition of a light vanilla filling earned it extra points on our yum meter. The buttercream frosting was luscious. (A great comparison cupcake for the White Wedding Day is Cafe Moxo's I Do!, which I tried a couple weeks ago. I loved everything about it except the oversize, overly crunchy "pearls" used as a garnish. The smaller, softer "pearls" on the White Wedding Cake were so much better.) Overall, we felt this one was perfect, with just the right amount of vanilla flavor throughout, and would be the ideal choice for a tower of wedding cupcakes. When I finished my quarter, I wanted to steal Kathy's just to prolong my taste buds' delight a bit more.


We had decided to save the fanciest cupcakes for last, but we couldn't resist the Cadbury Cream Egg any longer, so we attacked that one next. (Robin had been looking forward to it all day.) We loved the idea and appearance of this one, but the taste experience didn't quite match up to the vision for us. The chocolate cake and vanilla cream frosting were good, and we liked the egg-white-and-yolk effect of the frosting and the mini-Cadbury egg perched on top. The problem was that the Cadbury egg baked into the cake remained hard and didn't blend well with the cake and creamy filling. The effect of the baked-in chocolate egg reminded us of the Rolo cupcake we tried from TL earlier this winter. The chewy Rolo inside the cake didn't soften and made biting into the cupcake a bit awkward. We did, however, love the creativity of both the Cadbury and the Rolo, and we salute Tracy for her adventurous baking spirit. 


The final cupcake turned out to be the grand finale: The Coconut Creme Bird Nest. This one charmed us immediately with its green-tinted coconut and pastel candy eggs. In this case the taste exceeded our expectations. The white cake and vanilla frosting each delivered a subtle taste of coconut, and the thorough placement of flavor left us thoroughly impressed. Some of us crowned this one the winner among the five, although it was second place for me, after White Wedding Cake. 

Our TL Cuppycakes group tastings are becoming a tradition, and it's one that I hope we can continue until we make our way through the TL menu. To browse the choices, visit http://www.tlcuppycakes.com/Flavor-Menu-and-Ordering.html.

No comments:

Post a Comment