Monday, February 20, 2012

Simply sensational

Whew! It's been a busy long weekend. I'm lucky enough to be off work this Presidents Day and have a chance to catch up on my cupcake reviewing. I designated this past Friday as a cupcake day so I could sample a couple of Cafe Moxo flavors that are only available on Friday or Saturday. I liked the idea of trying the I Do! (white cake with vanilla frosting and wedding-inspired candy "pearls" -- Friday and Saturday on Moxo fall/winter seasonal cupcake menu) and the Chocolate Bombe (chocolate cake with chocolate frosting and chocolate sprinkles -- available Fridays only) at the same time since they're basic flavors with a sort of yin-yang relationship.


These are both visually pleasing cupcakes, and I love them as a pair. (I had been waiting all week for my cupcake fix, so I didn't feel a bit guilty for polishing off both in the same sitting.)

I tried the I Do! first, and I was delighted to find that it was freshly baked with soft, moist cake and Moxo's light, fluffy frosting. The only aspect of this one that I wouldn't say "I do" to again is the hard, crunchy candy "pearls" Moxo used as a garnish. They resembled tiny jawbreakers. I would warn anyone who has sensitive teeth or fillings to bite into this one with great caution (or even scrape off the "pearls" altogether). Sometimes less is more, with wedding dresses and wedding-themed cupcakes.

The Chocolate Bombe was equally delicious, without the hazardous garnish. Like the I Do!, the Bombe featured fresh cake and airy frosting. I loved the delicate chocolate flavor of the Bombe's icing -- it wasn't too rich or too chocolatey. In fact, it was perfectly subtle. I generally prefer milk chocolate over dark or overly fudgy chocolate, and the moussy quality of Moxo's chocolate frosting hit my sweet spot. If you want a chocolate cupcake without a pack of Rolaids, the Chocolate Bombe is for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment