Wednesday, September 14, 2011

I-want-candy Wednesday!

It was great to return to Heavenly Delight this morning after missing last week due to too many birthday cupcakes from The Cup in St. Louis. Les had some great choices when I got there -- Butterfinger, Chocolate Caramel Surprise and a few others I've yet to try. I was tempted by the caramel but was wary because the other caramel cupcakes I've tried have been too sweet for my palate. So I went with Butterfinger, intrigued by the possibilities of a cupcake inspired by a candy bar that I loved when I was a kid but have drifted away from as an adult.

I didn't regret my decision. The Butterfinger was exactly what I've been jonesing for all week -- yellow cake with candy bits baked in and light chocolate frosting topped with candy clusters. This was the first yellow cake-chocolate frosting combo I've had from HD, and it hit the spot. When it comes to rich gourmet cupcakes, I tend to prefer my chocolate in partnership with some other flavor -- be it white or yellow cake or some non-chocolate frosting flavor. Gourmet chocolate cupcakes tend to be fudgy and made with semisweet chocolate, which I don't like as much as milk chocolate. However, HD's chocolate frosting is the kind I like -- light, moussy and milky.

Normally I force myself to wait until I finish lunch to eat my Wednesday cupcake. I don't know if it was the four-day fast from sweets I imposed on myself after my eight-day birthday binge, but I was so hard up for chocolate that I broke into the Butterfinger about half past 10 a.m. and devoured it in less than 5 minutes. Typically, if I cave in to temptation and taste a cupcake before noon, I at least save half of it for dessert. Not today!

A side note about the Chocolate Caramel Surprise: My friend and colleague Robin Desai also stopped at HD this morning, and she went for the one I passed up. Her take on it? Absolutely amazing. She reported that the "surprise," not surprisingly, was a soft, flowy caramel in the chocolate cupcake's center, tucked beneath a roof of caramel frosting. Can I just say that one is on my list for one of the remaining six weeks of the market, should it show up again. I don't think I could have gone wrong with either of my choices today, though.

Another great Wednesday!

6 comments:

  1. Oh, that too sweet caramel is a friendly flavor to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the soft, liquidy caramel in Caramello bars and those Nestle ones that T-ball teams always sell!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That caramel cupcake sounds soooo good. Is the caramel salted or plain?

    It amazes me that you can buy a cupcake and show incredible restraint by not eating it till after lunch. Re: Butterfinger cupcake - glad to see you're human after all! ;>)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Nestle caramel fundraiser chocolate bars are my all-time faves. If the caramel surprise is anything like that, I'm game.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was thinking the same exact thing about the caramel cupcake. I love those caramel Nestle bars, too. So good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LaVonne, the caramel one wasn't salted that I know of, although I didn't get that close of a look at it. Usually I save the cupcakes for after lunch just so I can look forward to it a while longer, but I was having One of Those Days this past week.

    ReplyDelete