Thursday, December 15, 2011

Anything but velvet


Today was the day for eating excess at work, with our office potluck falling on the same day I stopped at Cafe Moxo for my weekly cupcake (it's worth noting that today is National Cupcake Day). Somehow, I  managed to find room in my stomach for a ridiculous amount of food.

But on to the matter at hand -- Cafe Moxo's Red Velvet cupcake.

Simply stated, the cake was horribly dry, possibly the worst of all the Moxo cupcakes I’ve tried so far. Terribly disappointing. Not even Moxo’s luscious cream cheese frosting could save this one. For one thing, there was much less frosting than on a typical Moxo cupcake -- not nearly enough to smother the heavy, almost crusty cake. How dry was that Moxo cupcake, REALLY? you may ask. Well, it was so dry that, an hour after eating it, the crumbs RATTLED inside the styrofoam bowl to which I had transferred it for sampling. I mean, we're talking little red velvet pebbles. It was so dry that it was more like cornbread than a cupcake. It was more desert than dessert.

OK, you get the point.

If this had been my first experience with a Moxo cupcake, I'm fairly certain that I would not return for a second. However, I have three reasons for continuing my quest of trying Moxo's whole menu: 1. The awesome frosting; 2. I finish what I start; and 3. I've had good cupcakes at Moxo.

Nevertheless, I may take a break from Moxo for a week or two. The holiday farmers market runs from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday at the Artisans Building on the state fairgrounds, and Heavenly Delight is going to have a booth there. Just to be sure I'll be able to get the cupcakes I want, I called ahead this week and reserved four of the seasonal flavors that will be available: Gingerbread, Hot Chocolate, Sugar Cookie and Pistachio. Knowing I can freeze HD cupcakes, I'm looking forward to being able to savor them for a week or two, and maybe for a couple Cupcake Wednesdays -- if I can leave them alone that long! 



No comments:

Post a Comment