Saturday, January 28, 2012

Java (and cupcake) Express

When my coworker, Amy, left a post on my Facebook page late this week mentioning that she had tried -- and loved -- a cupcake from Springfield's Java Express, 1827 N. Peoria Road, I knew I needed to squeeze in some time to check it out myself.

Java Express is just down the road from my office, so I took a quick break on Friday for an excursion. Amy had tried the pumpkin, and there was one left when I arrived. However, I also found lemon with raspberry filling and chocolate with peppermint frosting. The women behind the counter (one of them the baker herself) reported that the lemon-raspberry is one of Java's most popular flavors. (They also told me that they rotate their small variety of flavors, and two others that they mentioned stuck in my memory -- chocolate-peanut butter and one with cherry pie filling and almond buttercream frosting.)

After a bit of deliberation between the pumpkin and the lemon-raspberry, I decided to go with the less-common combination and chose the lemon.


Let me just say that Java Express knows cupcakes. I waited to eat the cupcake until Saturday morning and forgot to freeze it, so it sat out most of the day and all night. As a result, the cake was a bit dry by the time I ate it. One of the ladies at Java also told me that they bake 3-4 times a week, so I'm not sure how long the batch I bought from had been sitting in the display case at the store. Despite the slight dryness, though, the cake was an overall hit for me. The lemon was subtle in both the cake and the thick buttercream frosting. And the raspberry filling was just right -- it was just the right consistency, and I liked the presence of seeds. I'm not sure if it was a jam or a homemade filling, but either way it worked for me.

A couple other noteworthy details about these cupakes: They're jumbo-size and bargain-priced at about $2.

I'm eager to go back and try the one with the cherry pie filling and almond frosting. Here's a shout-out of thanks to Amy for the recommendation!

No comments:

Post a Comment