Sunday, January 22, 2012

Soy City cupcake

This weekend, I took a trip to Decatur to help my friend, Kate, make her wedding invitations. Of course, when I make plans to go to a new place, my first thought is, "Can I find a new cupcake place to explore?" A couple of people had recommended a place called Lana's Cakewalk, so Kate and I decided to swing by and fortify ourselves for a few hours of paper crafting.

Lana's had a variety of baked goods to choose from: in addition to about 10 flavors of cupcakes, a pair of display cases were full of cookies (including several of the sugar/shortbread variety with differently flavored fillings) and other sweets. A specialty of the shop seemed to be the Mommy-Q's, consisting of fluffy vanilla frosting sandwiched between two thick slabs of cake (vanilla, chocolate, orange, lemon, spice, carrot and strawberry were among the flavors). I tried the strawberry and was impressed by the moistness of the cake. I can't recall any of the previous cupcakes I've tried tasting as moist as Lana's strawberry Mommy-Q. The frosting was light, creamy and fresh.



The Mommy-Q was just a prequel to the orange cupcake I also chose. (The cupcakes came in the same flavors as the Mommy-Qs.). Simple but pretty, the orange cupcake was topped with a thick vanilla buttercream frosting and orange sprinkles. After the spectacular moistness of the Mommy-Q, I was disappointed with the dryness of the orange cake. The frosting, however was delicious -- perfect flavor and texture.

Would I return to Lana's? If I were in the neighborhood, yes. However, I'd pass on the cupcakes and try another Mommy-Q or one of the cookies. (Kate loved the snickerdoodle she selected.)



Also this weekend, I sampled the Snowballest Chance, a Cafe Moxo cupcake I picked up while having lunch with my parents there on Thursday. Because that day was a no-sweets day (most days of the week, I abstain from sweets to balance out my cupcake sampling), I froze it for two days. In the past, I've had bad experiences with the texture of Moxo's light, airy frosting thickening after freezing, but I decided to take a chance. I was pleasantly surprised on Saturday after I had pulled it out and thawed it at room temperature. The chocolate cake, which I feared would be dry, was OK. The light, airy vanilla frosting, hidden beneath a layer of coconut, was fresh. And the marshmallow filling was thick and indulgent. I would rank this one high on the list of cupcakes I've tried from Moxo. Even though I can take or leave coconut, I found the entire confection sweet and delightful.

A side note concerning Moxo: I complained a month or so ago that the red velvet I tried there was dry as a bone -- the worst I'd tried at Moxo and possibly the worst overall. However, the day I went with my parents, my dad tried one and liked it. I suspect that my palate is more finicky because I've tried so many cupcakes in the past several months. To the average person, Moxo's "dry" cupcakes might not be so bad.


No comments:

Post a Comment