Saturday, January 7, 2012

Raspberry rhapsody and pumpkin perfection

I'm still basking in my cupcake windfall from New Year's weekend, which included stops at Jilly's and The Cup in St. Louis. Thanks to my generous coworker, Jayette, I also found myself with a Chocolate Raspberry cupcake from TL Cuppycakes on Friday night. That was on my menu for this weekend, along with a Pumpkin Harvest cupcake from The Cup. 

Lately, I've become a fan of jumping on my first weekend cupcake at the stroke of midnight Saturday morning, and that's exactly when I tucked into my Chocolate Raspberry. 


As Jayette pointed out, one of the strengths of TL Cuppycakes is owner Tracy's ability to inject a cupcake with taste identity from top to bottom. For instance, the Chocolate Raspberry was dark chocolate cake filled with raspberry cream and topped with raspberry buttercream frosting and chocolate shavings. Even the color of the frosting was just right, calling to mind raspberries. Jayette commented that the frosting's color appeared natural, as opposed to some of the bright, obviously artificial colors you see on a lot of frosted cupcakes. When I tasted it, it was evident that Tracy had actually used raspberries in the frosting -- the texture included the seeds. While berry seeds in frosting might bother some people, it appealed to me. I liked knowing that there was no artificial flavoring -- just the real-deal berries themselves. The moist chocolate cake received an assist from the raspberry cream filling that bumped it into a higher tier of tastiness. And the chocolate shavings on top were the perfect complement to the whole creation. 

This afternoon, after a nail-biter win by my alma mater, the Fighting Illini, it seemed like a no-brainer to celebrate with the Pumpkin Harvest from The Cup.


This is among my favorite pumpkin cupcakes of the five I've tried. The spice cake was a tad dry, and I suspect that was from sitting in the freezer for a week. The frosting, however, took this one to new heights. Instead of using cream cheese frosting on their pumpkin cake like most other bakeries, The Cup opted for cinnamon buttercream. Divine decision. Creamy, creamy, creamy with a delicate cinnamon flavor that made me wish I'd asked for a side of extra frosting. (Oh yeah, and there was a wedge of pumpkin chocolate bark on top that was a nice touch, too.) I would love to try this one again, eating it in the shop or at least the same day. Not all cake holds up well in the freezer, and my foil liners (which I learned, from Heavenly Delight, help to hold moisture in cake when frozen) were too small to fit The Cup's jumbo-size creations. In the long run, though, the loss of moistness barely dampened my enthusiasm for the Pumpkin Harvest. I wish I had another!

No comments:

Post a Comment