Wednesday, August 17, 2011

A Cafe Moxo cupcake day

I've been sampling cupcakes all summer from a bakery in Neoga called Heavenly Delight Cakes. This bakery, which has a stand each Wednesday morning at the Old Capitol Farmers Market in downtown Springfield and every Thursday evening at the Illinois Products Farmers Market at the Illinois State Fairgrounds (except for this week, when the stand moved to the Illinois Building to serve state fair patrons), has been my weekly stop, with only a few exceptions due to travel, since the end of May. I've also been logging each cupcake, week by week, with a description and a ranking. My intention starting out was to choose one cupcake per week, but, of course, there have been weeks when I couldn't resist buying more than one and sometimes even freezing one or more for later.

OK, so I'm a little OCD. But it's been fun! It's also going to become fodder for this blog.

This week, though, I wasn't able to go to the fairgrounds to hunt down my Heavenly Delight cupcake. Instead, after I finished buying my produce at the farmers market (yes, I do make an effort to eat fruits and vegetables as well as cupcakes!) I stopped into Cafe Moxo, a locally owned restaurant downtown, on one fo the same blocks occupied by the market, to select one of their cupcakes as a replacement for Heavenly Delight. I chose the shortcake cupcake, which is strawberry-themed. My other choices were peanut butter, which I've had before and loved; chocolate; and carrot. (I plan to return and try other Moxo flavors, which revolve from day to day, once the market has ended and Heavenly Delight no longer operates a Springfield outlet.)

The shortcake was a white cake with a filling of chopped-up strawberries, what I can best describe as a thick vanilla whipped-cream frosting, and a strawberry garnish. The frosting, which tasted like a thicker version of the cream Mel-O-Cream uses in its bismarck doughnuts, was outstanding. It rivaled buttercream for me, which is saying a lot. The filling of chopped-up strawberries was a nice tough, as was the half-strawberry garnish. I loved the presentation, with frosting swirled high atop the cake. Moxo cupcakes are smaller than Heavenly Delight's, but I was just as satisfied after finishing.



I would highly recommend this cupcake for lovers of vanilla and strawberry. It was a worthy substitute for my beloved Heavenly Delight, and I can't wait to go back when the market ends in October and try more Moxo flavors.

Speaking of Heavenly Delight, I'll soon be posting my log of those cupcakes from May through last week, and I'll continue my recommendations on a weekly basis until the end of the market. I look forward to Wednesdays all week!

Now, get off the computer and go have a cupcake!

2 comments:

  1. I love Cafe Moxo, all their food is delicious. I know this blog is about cupcakes, but I highly recommend Chick Chic sandwhich (chicken salad- curry, raisins, scallions and toasted almonds). As for their cupcakes--the PB&J and Key Lime is great. LOL- and heck, you can get the cupcake oversized, where it feeds 10 people!

    D'Lynn's (4th and Monroe) is another place to try. Granted she does not make up her speciality cupcakes, unless ordered by the dozen....but Deb might be able to work something out for you. The awesome thing about her cupcakes their healthy for you- applesauce and yogurt for the cake fixins,then the icing has spun sugar and tofu in it. She also makes gluten free ones.

    Lastly, it's possible that Heavenly Delight's might be at Thur. evening Farmer's Market that moved duing the fair to Fit Club (on Sangamon). LOL, so you could work off the calories. I from them I suggest cookie dough or turtle cupcake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mikki, I love Cafe Moxo, too! I tried the Chick Chic once and liked it, although I have to say I prefer Incredibly Delicious' curry chicken salad better because I'm not a huge fan of the extra stuff -- raisins, etc., and I.D.'s is plain. Have you had theirs? The sandwich I always get at Moxo is the Hummus Among Us, and I love the Red Rover Red Rover salad. Yum! I forgot Moxo has the PB&J and Key Lime cupcakes. I can't wait to try them!

    I've had one cupcake from D'Lynn's Delights -- the strawberry, which I liked a lot. It's so amazing that those basic cupcakes are low-fat because they're so good. I do still need to try all the other flavors there. I'll have to check in to ordering some of the other ones.

    I've had the cookie dough cupcake from Heavenly Delight, but not the turtle. I'm not huge on nuts in stuff, so I'm putting off the turtle until the end. Have you had any of their peanut butter ones? I had peanut butter cookie a couple weeks ago, and it was to die for. Outstanding. I also love their chocolate mint.

    Thanks for your comments, Mikki! :-)

    ReplyDelete