Saturday, August 13, 2011

Cupcake summer

I've become a bit obsessed with cupcakes, and this blog is my spot to wax poetic about them, if you will.

I hit a high note in July with a Chicago cupcake crawl with my college friend Sara, who shares my love of those little cakes in the paper cups. I was lucky enough to have the chance to write about our sugary adventure for my employer, The State Journal-Register. Check out this link to read about it: http://www.sj-r.com/food/x142922246/Run-walk-and-crawl-for-big-city-cupcakes.


This shot is of the salted caramel cupcake I chose at Sprinkles Cupcakes, http://www.sprinkles.com/, which is nestled in Chicago's Gold Coast neighborhood. It was pretty good, but I would have preferred it without the trendy addition of salt. I love caramel frosting, but the salt overwhelmed the overall flavor for me. Camille and I try to keep a low-salt diet when we cook, so I'm sure my senstivity to it was part of my tastebuds' bad reaction. Sara and I also split a cinnamon sugar cupcake there, which was similar to a coffee cake. It was tasty, but it didn't strike me as a true cupcake because it had no frosting. I wish I could take another shot at Sprinkles and try a more traditional cupcake in a flavor I know I'll like. The shop was cute, and extremely colorful.

As time goes on, I'll write more about the other Chicago shops we went to, as well as a bakery in the area I've been sampling this summer. In the meantime, go have some frosting!

No comments:

Post a Comment