Monday, August 29, 2011

OMgosh! Cupcakes!

For Camille's birthday (today), we spent last night at the Riverbank Lodge in Petersburg. Such a beautiful hotel -- a rustic mountain lodge-inspired hotel that made us feel like we were in Colorado instead of 10 miles away from Springfield. And, across the street from the Riverbank Lodge, there just happens to be a little shop called OMGosh Bakery and Desserts. We stopped on our way out of town this morning so I could check it out because I can never resist trying a cupcake from a place I've never been.

OMGosh shares space with a shop called Memory Lane Antiques & Gifts. The pair of businesses is run by a mother-daughter team (Mom owns the antique shop, while her daughter runs the bakery). There were plenty of goodies to choose from in the display case, but I was there for cupcakes, so it was easy to hone in on those. Just some of the possibilities: s'mores, M&Ms, Reese's Pieces and Reeses Peanut Butter Cup, Oreo, turtle. There was even a caramel apple variety complete with stick. I have a weakness for all things peanut butter, though, so I went with the Reese's Peanut Butter Cup cupcake.


Boasting chocolate cake with peanut butter frosting and a generous swirl of chocolate ganache topped with a mini peanut butter cup, this cupcake looked scrumptious enough before I found out there were peanut butter cups baked into the cake as well. Wow.

I have to say, it was a good cupcake. The cake itself was a tad on the dry side, but the baked-in cups helped infuse it with some moistness. The peanut butter frosting was creamy with just the right degree of sweetness, and the ganache added a touch of gourmet. The peanut butter cups in the cake, though, made this one really unique. I'd love to go back and try some of their other varieties. If you happen to be in Petersburg and you love cupcakes, you should stop by OMGosh Bakery & Desserts. It's good stuff! 

3 comments:

  1. Mandy, I enjoy reading your blogs so much. The only problem is that you're TOO good. You describe those cupcakes in such delicious detail that I start salivating...peanut butter cups, ganche...stop, you're killing me!

    This bakery gets kudos for its clever name!

    [BTW, the lodge sounds wonderful. Petersburg is such a beautiful area. (Spoon River Anthology? Gravesite of Lincoln girlfriend?)]

    Looking forward to your next blog! (I'll try to remember to read it on a full stomach.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, LaVonne!! I've had a lot of cupcake material lately, that's for sure! I love it that way! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love The Riverbank Lodge. That is actually where we were had our small wedding a couple of years ago. It is even more breathtaking when there is snow on the ground.

    ReplyDelete