Sunday, April 1, 2012

Back again ... already!

OK, I wasn't kidding when I said I wouldn't be able to resist the Sweet Art cupcakes in the freezer for long. (Actually, I went all day Saturday without caving in, so I'm pretty proud of myself!) Anyway, today I chose what I think was the Strawberry Lemonade.


The cake was definitely lemon (possibly the most subtle lemon cake I've tried), and the frosting could have been strawberry or raspberry -- Sweet Art has lemon cake with both of those frosting flavors -- but the website lists strawberry as being on the Friday menu, so that's my assumption. The cake, like the red velvet I tried on Friday night, was dry, and I'm wondering if the way the cupcakes are made contributes to the dryness. Sweet Art's products are all preservative-free and organic. Based on my recent experience with cupcakes from Food Fantasies, which also offers organic (and vegan) cupcakes, I'm guessing that cake made this way might just be dry by nature. Food Fantasies' cupcakes turned me off so much that I won't go back to try more, but so far Sweet Art is considerably better. (While it's a bit dry, I didn't need a chain saw to cut into it like with the Food Fantasies cupcakes.)

The frosting had a pleasing fruit flavor, and while it was a whipped-cream consistency rather than my preferred thicker buttercream, I still liked it. It's lightness actually helped offset the cake's density. Tiny bits of strawberry (I think) were also mixed into the frosting, serving as a reminder of its from-scratch quality. The cherry on top was a nice touch, too.

I'm looking forward to more Sweet Art!


No comments:

Post a Comment