Sunday, April 29, 2012

Hot mama!

I'm usually not one for spicy food, so I wasn't sure what to think when I heard about one of Cafe Moxo's new spring cupcakes, the Hot Mama. It's chili pepper-infused chocolate cake with cinnamon buttercream frosting.


Although the cupcake overall was great quality -- fresh, with Moxo's typically great frosting -- I could have lived without the kick. And I was disappointed with the weak cinnamon flavoring in the frosting. I love cinnamon, and that was what I was looking forward to most with this cupcake. I think it's great that Moxo is doing something different, and I'd recommend the Hot Mama to anyone who likes heat in their food. I'll be sticking with strictly sweet cupcakes.

I also decided to try one of Moxo's Furry Friends cupcakes.


These are clearly for kids, but I couldn't resist the bright colors and simple recipe -- the four varieties of "Sesame Street"-inspired treats come in red (Elmo), yellow (Big Bird), green (Oscar the Grouch) and blue (Grover), the one I chose. Each came in chocolate or white cake, and I loved the clever touch of chocolate chips to accent Grover's eyes. I wolfed this one down after getting through only half of the Hot Mama. Without the mound of frosting topping most Moxo cupcakes, Furry Friends are ideal for a small indulgence that won't leave you with a bellyache or in a sugar coma. And they're great for a smile, too! I recommend them to kids AND grownups who are kids at heart. Like me. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment