Thursday, April 26, 2012

Give low-cal cupcakes a chance

After splurging on two Cafe Moxo cupcakes last week and not exactly making the best food choices over the weekend, I decided yesterday that it was time to head back to Grand Avenue Deli for a couple of D'Lynn's Delights' low-calorie cupcakes.

I tried D'Lynn's Chocolate Fudge several weeks ago, and although it was extremely dry, the frosting was decent. It was good enough to lure me back for seconds. I had been craving orange for several weeks, so I went with D'Lynn's Orange Creamsicle and added a Vanilla Bean for good measure (since they're low-cal, after all!).


I had a feeling the cake would be dry, considering that it's reduced fat. Anticipating the dryness helped, I think, because I didn't have the same expectations that I'd have for cupcakes from other bakeries.

While both cupcakes were dry, I realized as I sampled the Vanilla Bean that its density reminded me of a cake doughnut. It wasn't unpleasant once I made that association, especially in combination with the top-quality frosting. Thick and sweet, I never would have guessed it was low-fat or low-calorie. D'Lynn's owner Debra Swihart has said she uses yogurt and applesauce in her cake and tofu and spun sugar in her frosting, and that each cupcake has 60-65 calories. These cupcakes are pretty dang good considering the calorie count is that low. Imagine no more than 130 calories for two -- TWO! -- cupcakes! For that, I can forgive some dryness.

I do have to point out that I was a bit disappointed to find the Orange Creamsicle was made with yellow cake, and only the frosting was orange-flavored. I had hoped for a touch of orange in the cake, too. But overall, I was pleasantly surprised by this pair, and I'm looking forward to returning for the final two, Strawberry Cream and Caramel Spice. (Together! For 130 calories!)

4 comments:

  1. I personally like the purple icing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Her strawberry cupcake has pieces of strawberries in it. Myself, I like the Vanilla Bean or Caramel Spice. As you said, being they are healthy and can spurge by having 2, they are well worth the fact they are not the best cupcake in the market. I know she also makes special order cupcakes...wish she would have Coca Cola and Peach Cobbler available per cupcake- as they sound yummy.

    Although this is about cupcakes, if she ever has the Spinach Artichoke Cuddler (taste like the dip) or Black Olives & Cream Cheese Cuddler....I would highly suggest. Even the Pot Roast cuddler is yummy, especially on a cold day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comment, Mikki! I tried the strawberry a while back, before I had started this blog, and I remember liking it a lot. I'm going to try it again, as well as the caramel, sometime soon. I want to get lunch there one of these times, too. I've had a couple of the cuddlers, but it was back when she was still in her original spot.

    ReplyDelete