Sunday, July 29, 2012

Cupcake code blue


When my friend Jen, a nurse, brought me a jumbo-sized cupcake from Memorial Medical Center’s cafeteria last week that she said she bought for just under $1, my first reactions were shock and disbelief. Most of the jumbo cupcakes I’ve found during my sampling journey have cost in the range of $3-$5. Another friend suggested that the low price might be due to a hospital food subsidy. A third thought it might simply be a day old.

I’m pretty sure the third friend nailed it.



In all fairness, I had to freeze the cupcake for a few days because of a surprise box of cream-filled Krispy Kreme doughnuts from my husband that needed to be eaten ASAP (a delicious story for a different post). I wasn’t too worried about freezing it because I could tell the day I received it that it wasn’t at its freshest.

Pulling it from its paper lining three days later and taking a nibble, I found the yellow cake to be dense and dry – so much so, in fact, that I left most of it, eating just enough to counteract the sweetness of the vanilla frosting. I loved the texture of the thick, creamy icing, and the flavor was rich, but it was too sweet for my taste. Considering the cake and frosting as a whole, I wouldn’t find it necessary to buy this one again. I’m curious about any other flavors Memorial might make, and Jen reported that the carrot cake is quite delicious, especially if you can overlook the posted calorie content.

In other news, the Heavenly Delight cupcake stand has not been at the downtown farmers market or the Illinois Products market the past two weeks. I would assume that’s due to the heat, and I can’t blame the owners for that. The last time I went to the stand, two Saturdays ago, the frosting was melting off of the sad-looking display cupcakes. No cupcakes should ever go to waste! With temperatures forecast to be close to 100 degrees again this Wednesday, I’m guessing it will be another HD-less week. I hope a cold front comes through, because the summer is quickly advancing, and the weeks for cupcakes tend to fly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment