Saturday, July 7, 2012

Nuts and berries ... and zucchini

I had some catching up to do on new cupcake flavors after my visit to Heavenly Delight's stand at the farmers market this week, so I once again recruited some help from a coworker. The trio of the day: Lemon Blueberry, Italian Cream and Zucchini.


Lemon Blueberry took the best-of-three award for both of us. This was pretty much a perfect cupcake. Moist lemon cake with a filling of fresh blueberries; creamy, zesty lemon frosting; and a little dollop of blueberry jam on top. We also loved the combination of flavors. HD's Lemon Drop is one of my favorite cupcakes, and it's hard to say which I love more between it and its blueberry cousin. I guess I'll just have to try them side by side sometime and find out. Oh, what a hardship!


We also really liked Zucchini. I had had zucchini bread but never cake, and I really like HD's carrot and pumpkin cakes, so I was looking forward to trying this one. The cake was very spicy, and we could see the tiny bits of zucchini in it. I wondered if the frosting might be cream cheese, but it was vanilla. Although I love cream cheese frosting, I wasn't at all disappointed because HD makes an excellent vanilla and it complemented the cake quite well.


We wrapped things up with the Italian Cream. I wasn't sure how I'd feel about this one, with all the nuts. I'm not a huge fan of pecans, and the cake was full of big chunks of them, as well as coconut. I like coconut better than nuts in cake, so that didn't bother me. I don't mind nuts in cake as much when they're ground up or chopped smaller. But the chunks bothered me with this cupcake. Nuts aside, though, it was a high-quality cupcake. The white cake was moist, and the vanilla frosting, of course, was great. Again, I wasn't crazy about the nuts on top. But Italian Cream apparently is all about coconut and pecans, so I have to give HD  props for doing the cupcake up right even though it wasn't my taste. (I have to note that Kathy loved it. She likes nuts in cake, though.) So to all my friends who love their nuts, I recommend the Italian Cream!

No comments:

Post a Comment