Saturday, July 14, 2012

Doughnut detour

I know this is typically a cupcake blog, but when I found out that Friday, July 13, was Krispy Kreme doughnuts' 75th birthday, my craving started kicking in. Then I saw a picture on Mel-O-Cream's Facebook page of a commemorative coin marking that company's 80th anniversary. That's when I knew I had to work in some sort of doughnut post.

The problem: Krispy Kreme's nearest store is Bloomington, and I knew I wouldn't be taking any roadtrips this weekend. My only options were a local grocery store or gas station that sells shipped-in Krispy Kremes.  It happens that Shop N Save, my regular grocery store, carries boxes of several varieties.

On the other hand, it would be easy to swing by a local Mel-O-Cream store and pick anything I wanted from the menu. I decided, because cream-filled doughnuts are my favorite and Shop N Save carries "chocolate-covered, kreme-filled" Krispy Kremes, that I would put that doughnut head to head against Mel-O-Cream's chocolate-covered cream-filled. I've had both of these doughnuts many times, but I've never had the chance to taste them together.

 


Viewed side by side, Mel-O-Cream's doughnut, left, took the prize in terms of size and generosity with frosting. Both doughnuts' chocolate frosting was rich and fudgy.


But let's face it: The part of the cream-filled doughnut that matters most is, hello, the cream! I can say, after alternating several bites of each, that the Mel-O-Cream and Krispy Kreme are on an even playing field cream-wise. Double yum.

Really, these two are pretty comparable. I have to cut the Krispy Kreme some slack because I wasn't able to buy it fresh from the store like the Mel-O-Cream. I could tell it had been around a little longer. But it wasn't a deal breaker for me by any means. Taking freshness and size into account, the Mel-O-Cream would come out ahead. But otherwise, this is pretty much a draw. I must say I would be happy with either one any time.

Happy birthday, delicious doughnuts!


No comments:

Post a Comment