Thursday, July 12, 2012

Where's the toffee?

My stop at Qik-N-Ez after work tonight yielded two Java Express cupcakes -- the Chai Latte I wrote about in  my last blog post and a Chocolate Toffee. Both were flavors I'd never seen at Java. I suspect the coffee shop has expanded its selection since it started selling cupcakes at the gas stations around town.


The devil's food cake wasn't the freshest or moistest, which I attribute at least partially to the fact that the guy behind the counter said the batch had been in the store for two days (albeit in the refrigerator while not in the display case). And overall, I liked it a lot. The frosting was especially good -- creamy and light with a milky chocolate flavor. What puzzled me was the lack of detectable toffee. Guy Behind the Counter had said the toffee was in the frosting. It must have been ground up to a fine powder, because I sure didn't taste it or feel the crunchy texture. It was quite good as chocolate cupcakes go, but it didn't live up to its name. Somebody get these cupcakes some toffee bits!

No comments:

Post a Comment