Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Mounds of goodness

It was a one-cupcake day at the farmers market today, with the majority of Heavenly Delight's selection comprised of cupcakes I'd already tried. They were offering Mounds, however, and I'd passed that one over  on a couple occasions for flavors that looked more interesting.

I do believe I underestimated the Mounds.


It's a rather simple concept -- dark chocolate cake topped with creamy vanilla frosting and a sprinkling of coconut shavings, as well as a few bits of coconut inside the cake. But oftentimes the simplest cupcakes are the most satisfying, and this little beauty was perfection. I don't like cake to be smothered in coconut, but this cupcake had just enough to impart the flavor without forcing my jaw to work overtime chewing it all. My biggest issue with coconut is the texture.

My coworker, Kathy, split this one with me, and we both agreed it was yet another delectable selection from HD. One thing we did notice, however, was that the ingredients label listed cream cheese. The frosting was undoubtedly vanilla, so we couldn't figure out where the cream cheese was hiding.

I also realized, while eating this one, that HD has never had a traditional chocolate cupcake with vanilla frosting. The bakery has several with that combination of cake and frosting, but they all have some sort of extra ingredient, like this one. A classic "tuxedo" cupcake seems like something every bakery should offer. HD's basic flavors are so strong that I think the bakers should offer them consistently. HD's farmers market stand sells White (vanilla cake with vanilla frosting) and Chocolate Dream (chocolate cake with chocolate frosting) cupcakes most weeks, but HD also makes an excellent yellow cake with chocolate frosting that I've only seen at the stand once. I wish I could buy all four of the basic combinations (including chocolate cake with vanilla frosting) any week if I wanted to.

No comments:

Post a Comment